Flooring and Carpeting/vinyl over old linoleum

Question
We have old linoleum with a brick pattern that has  a slight raised pattern on it. (probably to make it more realistic)It covers our ENTIRE basement area. It is very dark, I'd like to use a light vinyl that looks like light colored oak planks, I've seen it at WALMART on their floors so I'm pretty sure is great with foot traffic!! Do you think the raised pattern of the brick will show thru the  new vinyl????  SOME people might see that as  a negative, but I really wouldn't care, I'm just wanting a lighter floor so basement isn't so depressing!!!

Answer
Thank you for your question Sue,

Over time without skimming the old vinyl pattern over with a float the pattern will indeed photograph through to a visible degree and perhaps a physical degree where you can feel it through your feet when walking over it. It will take some time to get there but it will after a while. But...if as you say you "really wouldn't care" then I see no reason for waiting any longer to have a lighter colored floor. I think it's a good idea to lighten up any basement floor by installing a much lighter floor covering, so go for it Sue, just allow some additional time for the floor to "set up" properly as going over vinyl and not the original sub-strate will take longer for the glue to cure and dry out so that it can hold the product securely...ok? That's it I hope this helps you with your project feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga