Flooring and Carpeting/cleaning quarry tile and grout

We have a red quarry/Mexican tile w/a bit of a sheen located in our enclosed Florida room. It appears to have white -- possibly calcium -- stains on tile & in grout joints. The whitish color (?calcium) is predominantly around the windows in this room. How should the tile & grout be cleaned? For some reason, the pictures only show the calcium-color on the grout but not the tile. Thank you.

Hello and thank you for contacting The Grout Dye Company.

Dear, Barbara;

Sorry for the delay. I was away for a while and forgot to turn the system off.

Thank you for the pictures.

The whitish haze could be Calcium deposits or Efflorescence mitigation. , there are many reasons why Calcium and Efflorescence developed on tile and grout installations. Most are generally to to trapped salts in the substrates but can also come from hard water. Both of these problems can be treated with a Calcium and Efflorescence Inhibitor.

In order for us to identify exactly what is going on with the grout and quarry tile  installation there are many factors to consider.

I would recommend that you give me a call if you haven't already solved this problem. There is no charge for speaking with a tech rep by phone.

Flooring and Carpeting

Michael C. Malizia

I can answer questions about, Grout and ceramic tile restoration and installation. This topic generally focuses on new or old installations that have an existing problem. I can offer advice on how to correct common made installation mistakes. Such as, cementitious grout problems, efflorescence, ghosting, shading, and flashing. And tile installation problems such as, floor deflection, slip resistance, loose tiles, vapor transmission and many others. These are just a few of the problems associated with new tile and grout installations. I can also offer advice with restoring old tile and grout problems such as, sealer removal, re-sealing, grout re-coloring, grout repair, and caulking.

Have worked in many different phaces of construction since 1983, I am owner / operator of a Tile & Grout installation and restoration business. I am also a technical advisor for The Grout Dye Company. since 1995.

General studies

Connecticut Stamford Hilton,Southampton hospital, Mcdonalds, Wading river hotel, Eastwind caterers, La pizzola, Setauket bagels, Sortsman kennels, Savinos resteraunt, Custom Building Products, Super-tec, Cancos, Southampton brick and tile, Tech, Dap, Poland spring water etc.