Flooring and Carpeting/removing glued down particle board

We recently bought a 1908 house. In one room the floor was not finished and it is particle board with an annoying paper on it that has a chalky substance that gets tracked all through the house.
We discovered that under it is the houses original wide plank subfloor (we think its subfloor becasue from the basement we can see the bottom of the particle board.) The question is, since the particle board seems to be glued down to the planks, how do we remove the particle board and keep the original subfloor?

It's going to be messy. Get a circular saw and set the blade depth to just cut through the particle board and maybe slightly touch the sub floor...a few nicks in the sub floor won't hurt. Cut small strips, maybe 3" wide, and remove as you go using small base shoe puller bars and other demo tools readily available at the box stores. 4 " razor scrappers...5n1 paint tools pry bars / cats paw.. etc.

At the perimeter your saw fence will impede you a bit, do the best you can. A 6" strip will easily pull up as well and you might see yourself making larger cuts as you become more adept with the demo process.

Wear a dust mask and gloves and goggles for peace of mind and protection. Nothing really toxic about the project...just be safe and comfortable.

OHH, get some knee pads as will be on your knees for many hours. The reward is in the completion of the can do it.
Base shoe/ mini bars...Home Depot has these as well
4 " scrapper

Check Harbor freight for LOW PRICES including circular saws and blades.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies