Flooring and Carpeting/removing a step/stair

I have a small townhome with laminate flooring that is old and dull. I would love to change it to hardwood at least in the living/dining area. My problem is that the living room is lowered with one stair from the rest of the space. I want the whole floor to be on one level. I do not want to raise the living room because the ceiling is already too low but lower the rest of the space to the living room level. This includes a guest bathroom and a kitchen and the deck outside. Is it doable? I have attached some pics to show you my dilemma!

I don't know if the structure is concrete or wood??? Do you have a crawl space under the townhome? That would allow you to get under the house and look. This would be a job for a general contractor experienced in re models. Usually the original builder does this for more reasons than aesthetics. It might have something to do with heating/air or plumbing.

I would contact a contractor to give you a quick, free, estimate to see if it can be done.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies