Flooring and Carpeting/removing a step/stair

Question
stair
stair  

stair
stair  
I have a small townhome with laminate flooring that is old and dull. I would love to change it to hardwood at least in the living/dining area. My problem is that the living room is lowered with one stair from the rest of the space. I want the whole floor to be on one level. I do not want to raise the living room because the ceiling is already too low but lower the rest of the space to the living room level. This includes a guest bathroom and a kitchen and the deck outside. Is it doable? I have attached some pics to show you my dilemma!

Answer
Tsedenya,

I don't know if the structure is concrete or wood??? Do you have a crawl space under the townhome? That would allow you to get under the house and look. This would be a job for a general contractor experienced in re models. Usually the original builder does this for more reasons than aesthetics. It might have something to do with heating/air or plumbing.

I would contact a contractor to give you a quick, free, estimate to see if it can be done.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris