Flooring and Carpeting/swanstone shower floor cleaning

We installed the more expensive Swanstone shower pan one year ago. It quickly became soiled looking around the drain (center of the floor) but abrasives are not recommended by the company. It really appears that the light color is wearing off even though it is supposed to go all the way through. That is why I picked this floor. No harsh chemicals or scrubbies have been used on it and our feet are not that soiled! Please help us find out why the pebble grain looks so dark in the center only and how can we correct the problem, especially if the color is wearing off.

Thank you for your question Dawn,

I am not very familiar with Swanstone as a material but I can imagine what you are dealing with. First have you researched the warranty/performance declarations that are made by the Manufacturer of the pan? What do they guarantee against to have happen to this material under standard conditions? What about the installation of the pan...was it installed by a experienced contractor or did you guys personally install the pan. Warranty declarations often time become null and void if not installed by either a Professional Contractor or a trained/certified installer approved by the Manufacturer. I know this may all be "hindsight" information but it will be exactly what the Manufacturer of your pan will be using to deny any claim for a perhaps defective pan. Now you mentioned that the darkening area is primarily around the drain/drain screen. Often times this is an indication that there is moisture getting "around and down" the outside of the drain and coming in contact with a portion of the pan material that is open to water intrusion because it is not sealed or protected as the surface of the pan is. So the darkening is most likely happening from just below the surface. I do not suspect that your feet are dirty at all enough to have a visible effect on the surface of the pan so something is going on it's just not what you think. The color itself maybe being affected by a constant contact with moisture (and perhaps some soap as well) and may impact not only the color of the filler surrounding the pebble grain but the pebbles themselves if they are able to absorb water as well...follow me? So while you investigate the warranty information of the Company lets not use the shower for a few days to allow the moisture that I suspect is affecting the unprotected area around the drain to thoroughly evaporate and dry out. What I think may happen is that the darkened area will lighten back to it's original shading along with the grain. Now this may take a few days Dawn (hard to say with any accuracy depending upon how much moisture/water your pan has absorbed) maybe even a week. You can help speed the process by employing a blow dryer or heat gun to raise the temperature and warm away the moisture a bit faster. Ok Dawn, lets see where this takes you, what I hope is that it will lighten back up. Then the fix is to cut out any grout that is touching the drain assembly to make room for a 100% Silicone caulk and seal up the space around the edge of the drain thereby stopping the flow of moisture down the "outside" of the drain assembly to where it need to go down the inside of the drain...ok? That's it Dawn I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...