Flooring and Carpeting/Wooden Flooring

I am about to purchase a flat which has wooden flooring laid out by the current owner. When I walk on it, it feels spongy and bends upon walking. I am told by the vendor that the house is directly over the steam and sauna room.

What I am unsure of is could this be the reason for sponginess or will be in long term as the moisture builds up over time?

Will appreciate your views on this please

As much as I would like to speculate what is going on, there is no possible way for me to understand without taking measurements and moisture readings.

Might I suggest you have the home inspection look into this prior to the purchase.

I don't know how much steam and humidity is transmitted upwards to the flat...might be better off passing this 1 up??

In the USA we have to pay an inspector to examine the property...they tell us if there are issues , then we decide to buy or not. Sometimes we can save some money and fix the problem ourselves. I don't know if that's the case here or not??

Spongy , bending flooring usually installed by the owner could spell trouble from bad workmanship...it might look nice but he did a bad job and will reveal itself sooner than later. If you have to replace it it will be a chunk of change.

Some laminate floors have a 2-3 mm cushion but it never feels spongy. Maybe the old carpet is under there still???

I would have it looked at...

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies