Flooring and Carpeting/Bad Berber installation--what next?

The following is the report that was provided to the Carpet company when they sent an inspector to our home after about the 10th time of repair attempts to our Berber carpet.  The carpet has multiple episodes of runs at the edges, the nails on the tack strips are evident when we walk on them (ouch) and a couple of the rooms now have bubbles in the carpet,  I guess my questions are, when they come to attempt the repairs what should I require of the installers? What should we expect from the carpet company if these repairs are not successful?  I'm concerned that there isn't enough carpet to tuck or pull for the repairs to be long lasting. This carpet is Summer Tree Knapsack.
We are at our wits end and just are not sure what we should do next..... Any advise you can provide will be appreciated !!!
And actually the thing we called them on the day after the install was the black line running thru the center of the living room--- installer claimed it would go away and then said it was because we walked on the carpet---he also tried to talk us into a strip of metal for the transition from the tile to the carpet, we did not allow that as there was carpet in the room before and this is a residential install not commercial.

Consumer is concerned with seams fraying and buckling. The carpet was installed in
June 2011 and first noticed the fraying seams the next day and buckling a short time
later. The home is occupied by 2 adults, 1 child, and 1 dog. Care is given using a
Dyson upright once weekly, no cleaning has been performed.
Fraying seams were observed in the living room and family room; buckling was in the
living room and one bedroom. A long run at the sliding glass door was also observed.
Several repairs have been performed at the seams and the carpet had been
restretched. According to the consumer the furniture was not moved at the time. At a
seam a row of carpet was hard to the touch at the tips. No seam seal was observed.
Based on my observations buckling carpet is characteristic of improper power
stretching and fraying seams are from improper seam construction and are all installation issues.

In answer to your questions:
1. What you should require of the installers: If you have ripples/buckling in the carpet, the carpet was probably not powerstretched at the time of initial installation. My guess is also that they installed the carpet the same day as delivery so it was not acclimated which can exacerbate the development of buckles/ripples. The carpet must be powerstretched (the powerstretcher is a device with a long tube as opposed to a short knee kicker) at the time of restretch. Unfortunately this may entail what is termed "stretch by repairs" at areas that are pulled past corners, door jambs etc. Fraying of seams is almost always due to a lack of installer applied seam sealer. This must be applied PRIOR to making the actual seam. This prevents fuzzing and tuft loss at seams. The bead of sealer on a made seam can be felt by hand as a small hard but NOT visible bead or bump. It can be visually seen by parting the seam. It also sounds like on the return trip(s) he topically applied the sealer to the fuzzing seam in hopes that this would remedy the problem. That is what probably caused your black or dark line at the seam(s). The sealer attracted traffic soil. Seams with topical sealer bust be taken apart and the areas cut off  with new seams made. Also you should not be able to feel tack pins in doorways, they should be hammered down. No visible metal transition strips should be needed if the installer uses a "Z" bar". Runs at edges are usually due to cutting and fitting with a dull knife. In all it sounds like the installer(s) took a lot of shortcuts. I would NOT allow the same installers back. Get an opinion on this from a qualified different installer as to what will happen in terms of repairs with a proper restretch. You may not want to have extra seams/repairs in your carpet nor should you have. Will there be enough carpet? That's hard to say without seeing it. Again ask a qualified different installer.

2. What you should expect if not successful: If you are not willing to put up with repairs made to your carpet that results in more seams the you should have the carpet replaced in the affected rooms at the dealer's expense.

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams

Certified Installer 1966-1976, Certified Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985, Certified Commercial and Residential Floor Inspector since 1985 is available to answer questions on problems with carpet or other flooring, and carpet cleaning. I can guide you as to whether you may have a valid claim against a manufacturer/installer/dealer/cleaning company.

Floor covering Installer 1966-1976 Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985 Floor Covering Inspector 1985- present

Floor Covering Inspector Training School; FCITS Floor Covering Inspection Technical Services; FITS Certified Claims Inspectors Association; CCIA

Hartford Courant

B.S. Chemistry 1971 A.S. Physical Science 1969 Armstrong Certified Installer 1972 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Specialist 1976 FCITS Certified in Carpet and Hard Surface, Commercial and Residential

GE, Phoenix Insurance Group, McDonalds Corp, WTNH, US NAVY, Xerox, Time Warner, Pitney Bowes, Conair, Yale New Haven Hospital, UCONN, Price Waterhouse, Pepsico.