Flooring and Carpeting/basement carpet

I rent a home with finished basement, and want to put a carpet or area rug on a cement floor.  The problem is that there are times when minor amounts of water leak in and would most likely get the carpet wet.  I am looking for something that would be waterproof and easy to maintain with a life of many years.  Is there anything you might recommend for my situation?  Are there any questions I should ask before a purchase?  How much should I expect to pay for such a carpet (price per sq. yard)?

Your safest bet would be to go with an outdoor carpet, which obviously can be installed inside.
You should not put any type of indoor carpet with a separate backing (secondary back) as it may delaminate from excess moisture. Also carpet with a rubber or foam backing will not allow the cement floor to breathe and will trap moisture coming from the concrete and can cause mold/mildew. I have outdoor carpet installed indoors (without adhesive) in my spa area where it gets very wet at times and it has been there for 10 years without a problem. Outdoor carpet is more porous, and will allow the concrete to dry out. This type is available in many colors at most any carpet store including the big box stores. As far as pricing, since I do not sell retail any longer,  I can't give you prices off the top of my head. Prices are easily available on line. Make sure it is mildew resistant ( most are). Buy the widest width you can to eliminate seams. Do NOT glue it down wall to wall as the glue may not hold due to the moisture over a period of time and you may end up with ripples (I've seen it many times). However you may glue the seam if needed, but try to place these away from leaks.  

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams

Certified Installer 1966-1976, Certified Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985, Certified Commercial and Residential Floor Inspector since 1985 is available to answer questions on problems with carpet or other flooring, and carpet cleaning. I can guide you as to whether you may have a valid claim against a manufacturer/installer/dealer/cleaning company.

Floor covering Installer 1966-1976 Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985 Floor Covering Inspector 1985- present

Floor Covering Inspector Training School; FCITS Floor Covering Inspection Technical Services; FITS Certified Claims Inspectors Association; CCIA

Hartford Courant

B.S. Chemistry 1971 A.S. Physical Science 1969 Armstrong Certified Installer 1972 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Specialist 1976 FCITS Certified in Carpet and Hard Surface, Commercial and Residential

GE, Phoenix Insurance Group, McDonalds Corp, WTNH, US NAVY, Xerox, Time Warner, Pitney Bowes, Conair, Yale New Haven Hospital, UCONN, Price Waterhouse, Pepsico.