Flooring and Carpeting/basement remodel

Question
We are planning a basement remodel and looking for a wood look floor.  We had a water problem but has a b-dry system installed. I am not sure how much moisture comes up from the concrete floor.  The floor needs to be leveled and our contractor has agreed to level the floor and prep for whatever floor we choose.  We are debating between a floating or a glue down wood plank vinyl tile or a wood look ceramic plank tile.  We would prefer the vinyl, but we are getting conflicting advice about glue down vs floating vinyl.  In the basement there will be a full bath with a shower stall.  We are also considering adding a wet bar and some built in cabinets in the future and have heard that you are not supposed to put built ins on top of a floating floor.  The brands we are considering are karndean, mannington and metrofloor.   Any advice?

Answer
Christina,

If this is a basement and you have known moisture issues do not use vinyl / vinyl plank or any type of glue down installation method. Vinyl and adhesives are very prone to moisture issues and will fail in short order. Usually noticeable failure can be seen in 6 - 12 months. Sometimes sooner.

One way to determine the amount of moisture transpiring from the slab is to measure with a CALCIUM CHLORIDE test kit. Follow the link/s for info and pricing
http://www.taylortools.com/moisture_tests.html

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203419910?productId=203419910&storeId=10051&langId=

After you test and meet the required acceptable levels of moisture transmission you can determine what type of flooring is suitable. Personally I would choose the ceramic tile that looks like wood or a floating wood floor. Tile for the bath / shower area.

If you call each manufacture that you listed and ask for technical services, via their 800 #,  they will answer specifically what moisture content is allowable in the slab ...usually expressed as 3 psi or less per 1000 sq ft. They will also be happy to guide you to a suitable material.

All the manufactures that you mentioned have good products. Install the floor last... after the cabinets are in as well as wet bar and finished bath.

Chris  

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris