Flooring and Carpeting/Floor cupping

Hi Chris,

I have a cupping problem with an engineered hardwood floor. The planks are 3 1/2" wide and when you see them towards the light you can see the cupping issue. The floor is glued down to a concrete base. I know the problem is due to a moisture unbalance between the top and the bottom sides of the plank.

I live in the desert in El Paso, Tx and in these days the relative humidity reaches the 30% or less and it is when the problem shows up, and in the rainy season (Jul-Sept)humidity averages 55% and the problem seems to be less. I have tried to solve the problem with humidifiers but it is not working.

First, is the low relative humidity in the air the real cause of the problem? if so, are there any other ways to increase the humidity on the floor?

Thanks very much for your help.

Since you have a slab foundation I can only think to add a humidity device to the Central Air. Yes the humidity is the issue. You can contact any manufacture and they will specify an acceptable range of humidity for the environment.

I believe they are called Whole House humidifiers and of course a window swamp cooler would make things more humid as well.

I hope you find a solution.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies