Flooring and Carpeting/porous ceramic tile bathroom floor

Question
QUESTION: What can I apply over a 15 year old porous ceramic tile floor to give it a slight shiny finish and make it easier to clean? I am not sure it was ever trated wiht any kind of sealant.

ANSWER: Thank you for your question John,

While there are numerous brands of sealers on the current market most will not "adhere" to a glazed Ceramic tile. But there is a product that "may" do the trick because of it's different intended use. It is called "Slipguard" and the coating is self explanatory. Malls and many indoor public areas employ a similar product but in a commercial application. It may take two coats to render a more glossy appearance but I think this may suit your needs. You can find them on the Internet under their trade name. Ok John I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

QUESTION: Sorry. The tiles are not glazed. They are very flat. In shiny and porous. What is best to give them a slightly glazed , somewhat shiny appearance?

Answer
Hey John welcome back,

You can do what we used to do back in the day when installing raw Mexican Tile and that is to purchase "Mexican Tile Sealer". It is specifically designed to coat and cover unglazed Mexican Tiles leaving a nice even glossy coating that is pretty strong and can last for a couple years before needing additional coatings...We used to use "AquaMix" as a product but not sure if they are still in business or making the coating as it has been a number of years since my last raw clay installation. Ok John I hope this helps you with your problem, come again anytime...

Perry

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga