Flooring and Carpeting/Carpet decisions

Question
Hi Carol,
Good to see you're familiar with Kraus carpet.
I have been attempting to research before making
decision to use as replacement in small home office.
Considering Soft Sensation series Earthscapes or Frond.
Are you familiar with the durability of the carpet?  It is a
100% BCF Perpetual with 20% post-consumer recycled
content.  It doesn't appear to be very tight woven, but is
a beautiful carpet!

I had read a couple of reviews that mention the carpet
showing unusual wear after about 3 months.  Our home
office will get daily use from my husband and me (empty
nesters).  I just don't want the expense of replacing carpet
unnecessarily <10 years.

An alternative is possibly a textured or loop carpet by Cavalier
Industries.  Are you familiar with this?

Thanks in advance for your input.  Let me know if additional
information is needed.

Answer
"Wear" is defined as loss of at least 10% of the fiber face weight.  That won't happen, and it is warranted that it won't.  What may happen is it will crush.  That is inherent of the soft fibers.  Any soft fiber.  

The more face weight in a carpet, the less crushing.  Too much and you may get tracking, but that is not a defect.  Loop carpets may crush less, but again, it depends on density.  And loop carpets can zipper.  (Kraus is the only manufacturer that offers zipper warranties on some styles).  

The key to keeping a carpet young longer is how you maintain it.  Choose a vac with the Carpet and Rug Institute's Seal of Approval.  You may be surpirsed to see that some of the vacs that are considered premium by consumers do not have this seal, and I have seen them damage carpet.  

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.  Carol

Flooring and Carpeting

Carol Blaha