Flooring and Carpeting/creaking bathroom floor

Question
tiled bathroom floor has started creaking could it be dampness

Answer
Sorry I'm so tardy Harry with my reply..very busy this time of year.

Thank you for your question,

Well...your "10 word" question simply opens the door to a thousand word response potentially. I have very little information with which to specifically consider in order to formulate an intelligent answer. At least an informed guess. That being said I'll have a go at it. Most of the time a squeak (or in your case a creak) will happen due to a settlement issue. Something has more than likely shifted or moved. Perhaps a floor joist or a support pier elsewhere in the home, and has allowed the sub-strate to ever so slightly separate from the joint and now there is a minimal gap upon which things are sliding on a now exposed nail somewhere beneath the point of contact. If dampness is a concern then certainly the opportunity for rot enters the picture which can cause a similar scenario as the aforementioned one I just posed. Rot or decaying wood can and will shrink or lose support. When that happens a gap is generated and the pesky nail is exposed and the space will slide up and down on it. My educated guess is that is the likely suspect. You don't mention how old your home is, neither do you mention what kind of home it is or the sub-floor structure be it a two story or a one level with a basement. I assume that the bath floor is tile and installed over a bed of leveled pack mud or cement. Sometimes there is a joint at the point where the face of the tub rests on the underlayment of sub-floor and often that can generate a squeak if things have settled there. I have no picture to look at or basically anything to observe to give me more to go on Harry so until you can provide additional information I've reached the limit of my speculation I can offer you. Perhaps the brief explanation I have given may give you some insight as to what may be happening or where to begin your investigation to get to the bottom of your problem. I hope it helps...feel free to return anytime or provide more info and we can go from there. I'll try to be more prompt with my reply as well..

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga