Flooring and Carpeting/Engineered American Walnut

Question
We have been researching hardwood floors for about a year now.  We are looking to install in our kitchen, living room, dining room, and family room (about 1000 square feet).  I keep being drawn to the look of American Walnut.  I know this wood is softer than oak and have read that you should not get it if you have children or pets.  

I have found an engineered American Walnut product by Hallmark Heirloom collection.  It seems to have a very durable finish on it.  I am wondering if the same sorts of cautions and warnings would apply to an engineered product.  Would the engineered American Walnut be tougher or more durable than a solid hardwood American walnut?  I would appreciate any advice or knowledge you have on this type of wood and the comparison between engineered vs solid when it comes to American Walnut,

Answer
Pat,

It's difficult to say if the wood hardness test applies to engineered flooring due to the thin layer of real wood laminated to the top of the plywood underneath.

Now with modern finishes and acrylic impregnated techniques and so many other ways to treat the wood prior to reaching the customer it is perplexing to find a real world example of durability. We are all left at the mercy of the products name / reputation / and word of mouth.

No wood is going to withstand everyday living and look new out of the box forever....it will develop character...memories...special moments when you look down and remember the toy or pet that left the mark or scratch.

The beauty of a true solid hardwood is the capability to refinish it many times over. Repairs and touch ups are basically within the grasp of the DIY should something minor occur.

With engineered floors you can also do some minor touch up, but I would hesitate to sand and re finish some ten years down the road.

I wish I was a sales rep and had vast resources to pull from , but I am just a mechanic who spends countless hours on the floor.

Get the best you can afford, determine if you are making an investment or just an improvement. Any floor will do well for 5 years...even 7-8. For the long run of 20+ years I wood stick to solids.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris