Flooring and Carpeting/hardwood floor installation

Question
Hi Chris.  I'm installing a Bellawood Brazilian Koa hardwood floor in several rooms in our house.  While doing the center hall, I decided to not be too concerned with the length of each individual piece of wood as I will be installing a transition piece (I will be using a piece of the actual hardwood after removing tongue).  Therefore, since floor boards butting up against the transition piece must be the perfect length.  My biggest concern is that when sawing through the installed boards to cut to correct length, I will some splinter the top surface of my new floor.  Do you have any suggestions?

Answer
Rich,

If you are using a chop saw / miter saw get the expensive 60-80 tooth blade for finish work. Do some small test cuts and determine whether to cut the face of the wood floor or the back side for best results. You can also place masking tape / painters blue tape on the wood and make your cut... this helps a ton.
If your floor has a micro bevel edge at the seams you can duplicate it somewhat with a sanding block or orbital sander and dab a bit of stain on the edge.

Be prepared with stain and or touch pens sold at the box stores in the paint dept.

Hope everything goes well. This is where the artist in you comes to light.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris