Flooring and Carpeting/removing vinyl flooring

I have removed the sheet vinyl flooring in an old house.  I want to get to the 3" wide wood flooring and refinish it.  After I got the vinyl flooring off, there is a lot of grey material left on the floor.  It is very hard to remove.  Are there any products that will make removal easier?  I tried water in a small area, thinking it might soften the material, but it seemed to have no effect.

Thank you.

If the floor beneath the felt is wood it will be more difficult. If it is a concrete slab easier, but still a tough job. I use warm / hot water and sponges to keep it soaking wet sometimes as much as 20 minutes or longer , re-wetting as needed.I also employ a razor scraper, the typical 4" hand scraper...sometimes called a wallpaper scraper. But that might harm the wood beneath so you have to use caution and possibly turn the razor blade backwards so the dull side is doing the work. Also putty knives and drywall knives are in my arsenal. Sometimes a 3" drywall knife or a painters 5 in 1 tool works better.

I do not envy your task nor do I know of any magic chemical to do the job.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies