Flooring and Carpeting/Bottle cap floor

Hello Perry. We are hoping to make a bottle cap floor in a small bathroom hallway of our restaurant. We are wondering if we could use concrete as our base to set the caps in possibly eliminating the need for grout. What are your thoughts on this method? Any suggestions for how to approach this and what type of sealer would work? Could we finish with a non skid poly, needs to be non slip for restaurant environment.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

Sorry I am tardy Jim...my computer crashed and took some time to resolve...

Ok...your plan to inset the caps into a layer of cement is a good one in my opinion and I am confident that because most caps are "planged" should hold well under traffic. The issue though will be the direct contact patch from the shoes will wear through any topically applied sealer. The product is going to be too thin to withstand that kind of abuse. I would apply a couple coats of Poly and you can sprinkle over the area silica sand which is very fine and will give you the slip resistance you need. Now some of the topical coatings that are employed at your local Mall or Office Complex is a very tough coating (like a product called "Slip guard") but the concern for you is that the abrasive foot traffice will soon remove the painted logo on the caps. What is being protected at the Mall is a material that is not painted, it is an integral material of solid surface. So That is why I suggest the Poly and Silica sand option. You may need to keep an eye on the stability of the coating protecting the painted caps for a time and may need to develope a regular maintenance program to keep things properly protected and covered. I like the sound of the idea, very novel. I hope it works out for you. Feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...