Flooring and Carpeting/Loose bathroom shower tiles

Hello Perry!

I have some loose bathroom (ceramic) tiles in my shower area (just above the tub)...a row of seven that, if you push it in, they move.  It is the second row of tiles from the top of the tub.  This has been a problem for many years and I really want to get it resolved.  The grout is all intact (it is a reddish grout).  How do I go about doing this?  I see some recommendations of merely using Caulk (Silicone caulk and PVA caulk).  I don't know what's behind (I would imagine a plaster wall with some waterproofing).

Could it have damaged the wall behind?  

Thanks much!!!

Thank you for your question Joe,

Well you do indeed have a lurking problem. I suspect that the wallboard (whatever it may be) has failed. You just don't know it yet, the grout and perhaps the tenuous connection of the adhesive is what is holding the tiles together like a ceramic rug...I am quite amazed that this has been going on as long as you claim. I think it time for a tear out and remodel of the walls and all new go in. You simply should not be able to "move" the tile by touching it and pushing it in. If you were to attempt to fix this by pulling on the tiles just a bit I would bet that many would fall right behind the first one. Caulking is what most likely has gotten you thus far. In my opinion you are past this kind of correction Joe. Now most average tub/shower combo's are about 60 sq. ft. and the cost of economy grade tile is about a $1.00 a sq. ft. so the actual cost factor to replace the tile is not all that great of a burden. So your labor costs you nothing...hanging up some new Denshild (about 5-6 sheets about $10.00 each) so the only thing after that is the adhesive ($35.00 for a bucket) and about $10.00 for the grout and there you have it...depending on your available time and patience to do the work. Ok Joe...I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...