Flooring and Carpeting/Tile

Question
Hi Chris,

I have an existing floor that has a black and white checkered linoleum. Each square looks like a tile (12" squares) Some of the squares are coming off and beneath that looks like a hard cork board....or compressed wood like material.  Just the very thin linoleum portion is popping off.  Looks like it will be easy to scrap those squares off.  My question, can I tile right on to that compressed wood material?  It has a similar hardness to Hardi-backer boards. I have no idea how it's adhered to the concrete subfloor....I'm guessing it's glued down tight.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Wayne

ps:  I have a photo

Answer
Wayne ,

From your description it sounds like Particle Board. Remove the particle board and adhere your tile to the cement slab. If you want to take the risk of going directly on the PB, I would expect the tile / grout to fail in short order.

PB is very well known to swell and crumble when it gets wet or sees a lot of moisture. In time the moisture from underneath might destroy the PB

Why in the world would they glue particle board down to concrete??

If you want to poor good money on to bad , I suppose you could attempt to attach hardi backer to the PB ..then tile, but I don't encourage that.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris