Flooring and Carpeting/Tile

Hi Chris,

I have an existing floor that has a black and white checkered linoleum. Each square looks like a tile (12" squares) Some of the squares are coming off and beneath that looks like a hard cork board....or compressed wood like material.  Just the very thin linoleum portion is popping off.  Looks like it will be easy to scrap those squares off.  My question, can I tile right on to that compressed wood material?  It has a similar hardness to Hardi-backer boards. I have no idea how it's adhered to the concrete subfloor....I'm guessing it's glued down tight.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

ps:  I have a photo

Wayne ,

From your description it sounds like Particle Board. Remove the particle board and adhere your tile to the cement slab. If you want to take the risk of going directly on the PB, I would expect the tile / grout to fail in short order.

PB is very well known to swell and crumble when it gets wet or sees a lot of moisture. In time the moisture from underneath might destroy the PB

Why in the world would they glue particle board down to concrete??

If you want to poor good money on to bad , I suppose you could attempt to attach hardi backer to the PB ..then tile, but I don't encourage that.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies