Flooring and Carpeting/laying hard wood flooring

Question
I am having hard wood flooring installed from the foyer, through the dining room, living room, master bed room and den.  My installer thinks that it should all flow in the same direction.  My particular concern is in the foyer.  If I follow his advice than the foyer will be layed horizontally instead of vertically.  I feel the wood should flow straight ahead as I enter the space.  Does it matter one way or the other?
Thank you for your advice.

Answer
Virginia,

It makes sense to me to have the wood flowing in the direction that enhances the length and direction of the long way , unless their is strong customer opinions. If you want the wood to lay differently it is a matter of personal choice.

Yes we want to enhance the overall length as you enter and flow through the house. That is the rule of thumb.

You can possibly have the best of both worlds if you find a place in the foyer that you can change the direction on a clean break between walls. Ask your installer if he can do that for you. It is a beautiful look and simple to do.

Most often times if the wood is turned in 1 particular area it is to make a statement of some sort and possibly include a medallion or border to magnify that bold statement. I am pretty sure you understand what I am getting at here. Look in magazines and online for pictures of a turned area to enhance an entry or room.

Ultimately it is your choice and you are the end user. The installer will be gone after a week and you have to live with the choice for years to come. Again I suggest you talk more with your installer and ask about where a good place would be to TURN THE DIRECTION after / in the foyer.

This way you get the foyer on your choice and the rest of the layout on his / standard rule of thumb layout.

Best Regards,

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris