Flooring and Carpeting/Poor Sloping Marble Shower

Question
shower floor
shower floor  

Shower floor 2
Shower floor 2  
Master bath marble shower.  Walls, ceiling and floor.  Floor not sloped properly.  Built approx. 20yrs ago.  Water pools in corners.  Floor consists of 4 triangle sabs. Rather than take on the expense of tearing it out, is it possible and logical to lay over it?? Marble tiles have been suggested.

Thank you for your advise.

Answer
Thank you for your question Mary,

I have seen this condition over the years many times and the common problem is just what you are dealing with...settlement of the stone over the years generates negative placement or slope and a new problem can come to light. Your reluctance to removing the current stone is understandable and perhaps a "tile over tile" emboss is possible but once you do that the stone tiles that you are currently concerned about will automatically become the "new sub-strate" upon which your new floor will be built...follow me? If you are trying to put off the expense of a total remodel then you are left with a "band-aid" solution. You can do something like this to buy some more time but to be honest with you Mary at some point a more forceful correction will be required...ok? If the current marble is to become the new underlayment then it must be properly prepared prior to adding another layer to it. Not the least of which is that the current drain will need to be raised or extended to maintain the same finish elevation that the new floor will be adding. The tile you add should be cut/trimmed tight to the raised drain so that it can be properly "Siliconed sealed" to prevent water from getting beneath the new layer. The same is true at the edges where the new tile comes in contact with the old walls. I would only consider a smaller mosaic for this add-on. I would stay close to a 3 x 3" size or a 2 x 2" nothing smaller or larger. With a smaller format you can control the pitch of the material and it becomes easier to fit it into the available space. There are marble mosaics that can fit the bill even the same stone is available to purchase...ok? That's it Mary I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return again anytime or update me if you would like once you get your project going.

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga