Flooring and Carpeting/Porcelain Tile

Question
I am having porcelain tile installed on entire first floor  -- on room has old 9x9 tile:  Can
porcelain be laid over this.   IT IS A MUD JOB.

Answer
Sorry I am tardy with your reply Marlene..your question must have sneaked in when I didn't notice....

Ok your question...well...you are not giving me much in the way of information. First is you mention a "9x9 tile" which doesn't tell me much really, what is this 9x9 tile made of? Is it Ceramic?, VCT, I have no way of knowing based on this tidbit of information. Next is you capitalized "it is a mud job" but I am not sure what your emphasis is telling me. I do not know what a mud job may mean to either you or me as there is simply no context to go by. I do not know what kind of sub-floor you have, you do not mention if this is over a cement slab or over a crawlspace or even a basement. I am never in favor of installing any kind of tile, be it Porcelain or Ceramic, over the top of another existing material as there is too many things that could go wrong and result in a costly failure. I do not know if there is a Sub-Contractor or a family member who is installing what may be a significant amount of flooring based upon what you mentioned (entire first floor) to be covered. Sorry Marlene...I can't help you very much with the limited information presented. Perhaps you can go by what I said about covering "any" kind of material with an additional layer but that is limited information for you in that sense. If you would like to return with additional information I would be happy to add to my response as well.

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga