Flooring and Carpeting/river rock tile shower floor

Question
tile
tile  
Put a shower in last month. River rock are moving.  Took up some and adhesive is wet.  Never sealed it b/c we thought the grout that sealed was enough per the Home Depot guy.  This is a ready tile base. Do I have to take up everything or can I just redo the area that I found to be wet?  I'm afraid if I take up the dry parts I'll damage the base.  If I try to repair a section, it might leak at the point of old vs new.

Answer
Sorry I am tardy with my reply Mary...I am swamped at work lately.

Now your shower...things are looking rather dreadful aren't they? You said the adhesive is wet...what kind of adhesive did you use? You will need to pull up the suspect stones to determine how much of the rest is still ok. My first suspicion is the area around the fixed drain. If water is leaching down between the drain flange and the tile then it will continue to do so until you get it properly sealed against water penetration. I can't make out in the picture how tight the stones are fitted around the drain. If there is too much of a gap between the stone and the drain itself then it will be more difficult to get things sealed. The stone should be pretty much touching the form of the drain to within at least 1/8" or closer. This will make for a much more positive seal and protect this suspect area so water will actually make it to the drain and down. I would think that the stones should easily be removed in this present condition and remove as many as needed in order to get to what is still holding. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't need to remove it all and start again. The area now affected will need to completely dryed out after you remove the bad area before you go again with the install. I would basically start over if need be in order to have a better finish at the drain, nice and tight to the shape of the drain then a bead of Silicone caulking at the point of transfer where tile touches either the plastic or metal...follow me? Ok Mary I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime.

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga