Flooring and Carpeting/Rubber reducer

Question
We are having outdoor carpeting installed on our patio.  The carpet will come to the edge - not wrapped over.  Initially, we were told that we needed a rubber reducer and now they are saying we don't.  I'm worried about the carpet coming up or fraying along the edges.  What do you think?
Thanks,
Cheryl

Answer
Cheryl,

If you like there are 2 options ...1 is as you mentioned with the added expense of the rubber reducer, which could fail if not glued down properly / strongly. Weather will beat it up and ozone will shorten the life of the rubber as it becomes brittle over the years.

Or option 2 . Roll the edge under 1" and use an upholstery electric stapler to fasten the folded edge down to a wood surface. If you are dealing with a concrete slab then you need to use a reducer glued in place...or drill the slab for a metal decorator bar ...often called a flat bar or down bar, sold in 12' ft lengths. Available in gold or silver.

You don't want the edge to be exposed to the elements or foot traffic. It will unravel and fray.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris