Flooring and Carpeting/Stone for a steam shower

Question
Hi Don,

I am remodeling a master bathroom, including a steam shower.  We plan to use white stone, accented with gray marble, and are considering either Thassos White or Bianco Nieve.  We had originally chosen Carerra Marble for the white stone, but I am not fond of all the veining.  (We are using the white throughout the entire bathroom, including the walls.). A little, light veining is OK, but there was too much on the Carerra marble samples we saw.

I am concerned about the durabilty and beauty over time of the white marble in a steam shower.  I have heard that the white marble can show stains.  Please tell me what you know about this and any recommendations for using these marbles mentioned above or an alternative stone.  Thank you.

Answer
Hello,

The truck with any marble in a shower is first to apply a good sealer that keeps water out. Next, please remember that although you've sealed the stone (doesn't matter which one you use as they're all porous) there will be periodic maintenance required. In this case I would just select whatever stone suits your desired look and follow the basic instructions I've mentioned. Key point, hard water leaves mineral deposits which will be the chief damage to the stone. A sealer can help prevent this but maintenance will be required.

Flooring and Carpeting

Don Moore