Flooring and Carpeting/grout color

Question
We just put in the porcelain wood tile. Its a walnut color wood tile. We picked a dark brown grout (Lecreit unsanded chestnut brow). When the grout was mixed it looked like chocolate pudding, but after a day of it drying, it looks white???? Please help?? I was thinking maybe the installer didn't let the thin set dry and now it was mixed with the brown grout?? Also after they did the grout, they were installing doors and baseboards in the house without covering the floors? Help this was enough info??

Answer
Thank you for your question Tara,

I am quite familiar with the tile you have installed and one of the things that must be considered when installing this particular style tile is to whether to install the tiles butt together or incorporate a focused grout joint. I almost always installed with the tiles butted tightly together. It assisted the wood copy to "appear" more like wood when there wasn't a perceptible joint to distinguish one from the other. You don't mention (but perhaps implied) that the setting adhesive was perhaps a white thinset as you voiced a concern that the brown grout "touching" the thinset may perhaps turn the grout white. What I suspect happened was there was an excessive amount of water used in the rinsing phase which can easily leave or turn the surface of the grout white or a lighter shade. You did mention that a "non" sanded grout was employed which is a correct application for the type of tile installed but with so small a joint and a concern for a residue or film being left behind too much water in the end may have been used during the process. I do not know if this is a "re"model or new construction but either way experienced contractors should know better not to do any work over a "finished/completed" section of the house without properly protecting the materials. This is a fundamental understanding of the construction process and only inexperienced or uncaring participants would conduct themselves so cavalierly around "brand new" installations. There are a couple things that can be tried, none the least of which is to have the original "installer" return and have "him" figure out what is needed to correct this condition. You have paid him in good faith and it is his responsibility to solve the problem and to also have a completely satisfied customer (If he would like to have more customers at the least). If there is debris in the grout that can easily be identified that was stupidly introduced by trimmers working without thought then they also should be called to task and asked how "they" plan to correct their careless construction habits. I am amazed sometimes at how supposedly experienced, Licensed, and Insured Contractors put this kind of result out to a paying customer. I simply may not understand the actual sequence of events that do occur sometimes that are extenuating that may explain how such an easily avoidable problem did in fact happen. The tile can be acid washed by a mild product called Sulfamic Crystals and rinsed which can many times remove the white wash film on the surface of the grout. The same can be said for a scrub brush and Baking Soda. Worse case scenario would be to employ a razor knife and cut out the grout (non-sanded so not too difficult) and regrout again this time using less water rinsing. Ok Tara I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga