Flooring and Carpeting/Laminate to tile transition

Question
I have installed laminate up to tile. The laminate is 1/2 thick; the tile is 1/4 thick. the "T" molding won't work and the reducer strip goes to the concrete floor, so it won't work either. What else is there?

___
    lam    |     _________
     ______|____|_________ tile

Answer
Albert,

If you use a T cap shim the tile side and caulk to fill ..do not step on it for 24 hrs.

Shim it with a small trim / waste piece of flooring material....buy some colored caulk as close as possible to the color of the wood. That way, when it does dry, it will not rock up and down and break. The shim needs to support the cap 75%-80% and doesn't have to actually be flush with the visible edge. The caulk fills in any voids.

The side that lands on the wood , should be glued in place with liquid nails, squeeze out excess/ wipe off with mineral spirits, buff dry and tape down in place with blue painters tape.

It can look Ok if you take your time and are pretty handy with a caulk gun.

The other way is using a reducer. I am assuming ceramic tile????
If you plan the layout in advance you can hold the laminate wood back just right...cut the nose of the reducer off with a table saw so it lands flush with the tile. Sometimes just having the reducer pre cut and laying in place loose is the way to go. That way you can make sure the wood is in the right place no matter the direction of the install. Finally glue the reducer in place with liquid nails and fill a small gap @ the tile with colored caulk...1/8" Even colored to match the tile or wood.

It's possible to do it even now ...just have to remove 1 row and make the needed cuts.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris