Flooring and Carpeting/hall floor

I am renovating a house we took the carpet out of the hall the floor is staying wet. I went under the house and the floor is dry as a bone. there is no water on there is no leaks in the roof coming down inside of the walls I have had a fan on it  with no change. Whats going on ?

I do not have enough information to give you a definitive answer as to exactly why you are experiencing this. But even without this information I can tell you this: While wood and carpets can temporarily hold moisture from a past event(for example a flooded carpet) they cannot maintain the amount of moisture or increase it an ongoing basis unless more moisture is being introduced from an outside source. Absolutely. And it will be from one of the following:

A high humidity problem/dampness/warm air encountering a colder surface. When this happens the moisture in the air will condensate and form on the colder surface. Think of an ice cold glass of water on a warm day. Here are some things to check: Is there warm air coming into a colder floor? You say this is a renovation. Is the area enclosed? Windows installed? What is the basement under the house? Is it a crawl space with a dirt base? Is there a vapor barrier? Is there at least 48" between the joists and the soil? Is there ventilation or enough venting windows in the crawlspace? Is there a dryer vent under the floor that is being used? I suggest you invest in a moisture meter and check the floor joists. Just because they look dry does not mean they are dry, wood absorbs moisture.

A leak/water intrusion. Here are some things to check: You said there is no water on. By that you mean the water to the house is off? Even if it is, pipes can still contain water from past use. You said there are no leaks. What did you do to confirm this? I would use the moisture meter to check walls, windows and perimeter areas of the floor. Again just because something looks or feels dry doesn't mean it is dry. The moisture meter reading will usually increase as you get closer to the source, although moisture from a leak can pool in low spots such as between plywood subfloors.

Somebody is spilling something or is messing with you. :)

Please feel free to get back to me with more info!  

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams

Certified Installer 1966-1976, Certified Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985, Certified Commercial and Residential Floor Inspector since 1985 is available to answer questions on problems with carpet or other flooring, and carpet cleaning. I can guide you as to whether you may have a valid claim against a manufacturer/installer/dealer/cleaning company.

Floor covering Installer 1966-1976 Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985 Floor Covering Inspector 1985- present

Floor Covering Inspector Training School; FCITS Floor Covering Inspection Technical Services; FITS Certified Claims Inspectors Association; CCIA

Hartford Courant

B.S. Chemistry 1971 A.S. Physical Science 1969 Armstrong Certified Installer 1972 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Specialist 1976 FCITS Certified in Carpet and Hard Surface, Commercial and Residential

GE, Phoenix Insurance Group, McDonalds Corp, WTNH, US NAVY, Xerox, Time Warner, Pitney Bowes, Conair, Yale New Haven Hospital, UCONN, Price Waterhouse, Pepsico.