Flooring and Carpeting/Vinyl Tile install

Greetings:  I purchased 18" x 18" vinyl peel-and-stick tile and installed that over a DRIcore sub-floor.  Most of the tiles stuck O.K., but about 10% did not.  The edges curled up and won't stay down.  The instructions say do not use another adhesive, but I am tempted to do exactly that.  Do I have any other options?  Thanks.

Sorry I am tardy with my reply Larry...was down and out in a hospital for a few days...

Typically in this scenario there is something that has interfered with the power of the adhesive. More than likely something that was pulled from the sub-strate either visible or other unknown that didn't allow the adhesive to properly cure into the contact cement it needed to be. I would simply use some Mineral Spirits and thoroughly clean off the ineffective adhesive and allow to dry and then spread new adhesive again which I am betting will have a better outcome the second time around. I know with a "peal and stick" the adhesive that is bonded to the back of the tiles can also lose it's power for exactly the same reason. The adhesive is the same for both applications so a small can of vinyl contact adhesive will do fine or employ a new tile that has complete active contact cement coverage till you can get them to all settle down onto the sub-floor. Ok Larry I hope this helps you with your problem. Feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...