Flooring and Carpeting/The affects of freezing weather on tile.

I want to tile the front patio(outside)of our lake house in Minnesota. Do I need a special thinset or mortar for the extreme temperatures of winter?

Yes you will. I suggest you call the manufacturer of the tile adhesive / mortar and describe dto them what extreme you are expecting. They will make great recommendations for your he's is and possibly additives for it.
I would strongly suggest you take the extra step and install the Schluter Ditra Mat

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies