Flooring and Carpeting/Carpet Installation/Fixing in Trains and Buses.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Carey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Express_train
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus

Do you feel Carpet can be Installed and Fixed in Local (Short distance) and Express trains (Long Distance) ?.

Do you feel Carpet can be Installed and Fixed in Local transport and Luxury Buses ?.

Can this give a Better Designing and Comfortable look and feel for the passengers travelling in Trains and Buses ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: 1.  Yes, carpet is routinely used in both short and long distance trains in the US.

2.  Yes.  Again, carpet is the flooring of choice in luxury buses.

3.  From the design perspective, carpet gives significant noise reduction properties, especially when the carpet chosen has a structured back such as polyethylene > 2mm thick.  It also provides excellent slip resistance for passengers, which can be a major issue, especially in wet weather.

All the above assume a commitment to properly maintaining the carpet.   

I trust this helps, CM

QUESTION: Dear Carey

Thank you.

1. If Railways or Bus (Public and Private) Transport Facilities approaches for you to work as a independent contractor for taking this work, will you accept this after studying their requirements ?.

i.e. Installing and Commissioning Carpet in Trains (Long and Short Distance) as well as Luxury Buses and Local transport Buses.

2. Do you feel Installing Carpet in Trains would be more difficult than fixing Carpet in Buses because of the Length of the Train as compared to the Length of the Bus ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER:
1. Sorry, but no.  I am retired and have started a small consulting business, but I
am not in the business of carpet installation.  It might be possible that we could assist in some sort of consulting.

2. I would not expect the longer spaces to present great difficulty, as most carpet in these applications is glued to the flooring.   

I trust this helps, CM

QUESTION: Dear Carey

Thank you.

In both the automobiles i.e. Trains and Buses, the Carpet installation has to be done before the Seating Chairs are installed and fixed with the machine/s ?.

i.e. Carpet Installation first and then Fix the Seating Chairs since it looks like the seating chairs are permanently fixed in the trains and buses.

So it might be difficult to fix Carpets once the seating chairs are fixed
in Trains and Buses. Is it ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
1. It would be difficult to install the carpet after the seats are installed; it would not be impossible, but would require much cutting and the result would be unsightly and unacceptable.

2. If the project has not progressed, my consulting colleagues have relationships with manufacturers who would be willing to consider contracting the work. Our consulting firm would facilitate.

CM  

Flooring and Carpeting

Carey Mitchell