Flooring and Carpeting/floating floors

Question
I am having some remodeling done. House is a raised ranch. Family room area is lower level on a slab. Remvoving old carpeting so far reveals a good slab with no signs of moisture etc. House is 35 yrs old. Contractor is suggesting a floating floor. I like the idea but wonder if the floor would be uncomfortably cold. Only heat source is forced hot air from ducts in celiling. No advantage of radiant heat. Live in NY state. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Answer
Matthew,

I cant tell you how well the heat will circulate in that room , unless I come and hang out for a week...lol Hope you guys are warming up some as we speak.

What I can tell you is The flooring should be something you will enjoy for many years ...easy to maintain, and enhances the rooms function as a living space.

Throw rugs / radiant heaters can all be used if needed during the winter months to raise the temps a bit.

The floating floor system will have a small moisture / vapor barrier between you and the wood which acts like an insulating layer in principal. You can increase this layer of insulation by purchasing a premium underlayment.
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/All-Products/Flooring-Underlayment/Sponge-Cus

SCI is a leading manufacture of padding and underlayments...find a distributor near you to compare the difference. There are many different types on the market so try to see as many as possible. The offerings from the local box stores pale in comparison.

Best of Luck,

Chris  

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris