Flooring and Carpeting/floating floors

I am having some remodeling done. House is a raised ranch. Family room area is lower level on a slab. Remvoving old carpeting so far reveals a good slab with no signs of moisture etc. House is 35 yrs old. Contractor is suggesting a floating floor. I like the idea but wonder if the floor would be uncomfortably cold. Only heat source is forced hot air from ducts in celiling. No advantage of radiant heat. Live in NY state. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

I cant tell you how well the heat will circulate in that room , unless I come and hang out for a week...lol Hope you guys are warming up some as we speak.

What I can tell you is The flooring should be something you will enjoy for many years ...easy to maintain, and enhances the rooms function as a living space.

Throw rugs / radiant heaters can all be used if needed during the winter months to raise the temps a bit.

The floating floor system will have a small moisture / vapor barrier between you and the wood which acts like an insulating layer in principal. You can increase this layer of insulation by purchasing a premium underlayment.

SCI is a leading manufacture of padding and underlayments...find a distributor near you to compare the difference. There are many different types on the market so try to see as many as possible. The offerings from the local box stores pale in comparison.

Best of Luck,

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies