Flooring and Carpeting/Tile over brick

Question
QUESTION: Hi Perry,  I am putting black granite tiles over my brick hearth and surround.  Can I use regular mortal mix ( Quikrete ) as a skim coat to level the brick and joints?  Thanks.

ANSWER: Thank you for your question Phil,

I would not use a mortar mix in lieu of a thinset as mortar mix does not have the adhesive quality required to securely hold the Granite. So just employ any standard thinset adhesive to install your Black Granite if you are on a budget. If you have the extra resources then employ a latex modified thinset to give you just a bit more holding power especially on a surface that will be changing temperature often when used. That's it I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime and Happy New Year....

Perry V.

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick response.  I need to know what to use as a base coat first to smooth out the bricks before
I put down the tiles.  Thanks.

Answer
Hey Phil,

Sorry for leaving the main part of your question unanswered. I would use the thinset as the skim coat as well because it will properly serve as the "bond" coat to the adhesive layer that you will install the Granite tiles into. If you need to "build" up the skim in some low areas just mix the thinset a bit stiffer or do multiple coats to get the surface where you want it to be. Ok Phil I hope this is what you needed, thanks for returning so quickly...

Perry

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga