Flooring and Carpeting/Hardwood floor stain

Question
Hello Chris,
I am a fan if brazilian Cherry hardwood floors. Moved across the state and in the new house we have main living room floors done in natural maple 3" planks. My plan is to rip the carpet in the bedrooms adjacent to the living room and extend the hardwood floor to the rest of the main level. Yes, you guessed it right- I want the new floor in cherry and refinish the existing maple to look like new, but be stained red to match the lovely new cherry ( most likely will get it in factory pre-finished ). Spoke to contractor and he gives me a story of how hard will it be to match the stain to new floor.
Questions:
1. what stain would you go with if you had to do this to give the highest rate of success?
2. Do you think having 5" planks adjacent to the 3" is a horrible idea?

Answer
Hello Veronika,

I'll answer the easy question first. If you break the line of sight with a border or 90 degree transition the 5"wood will look fine. Or you could turn the new wood the other direction so it does not run parallel with the old 3"product. We call this turning the room.

As for stain, look up professional products and take a sample or two of your maple floor, sanded of course, and test various stains.Choose from the one that looks best to you.

I am going to link you to an interesting article...please read it and see if you really want to proceed with attempting to stain maple.

www.peteshardwoodfloors.com/Wood-Floor-Techniques-101/staining-anyway-read-this.html

Hope that helps some.

Chris  

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris