Flooring and Carpeting/Building construction without Staircases.

Is it possible to construct a Building i.e. residential or commercial complex without Staircase ?. Is it feasible to built ?.

The people will always use Lifts / elevators instead of alternative of staircase.

i.e. The space occupied by the staircase will be replaced by additional Lifts / elevators.

What are the pros (advantages) and cons (disadvantages) if such a building model is constructed without staircase (if feasible) ?.

Examples : 10 floor commercial complex, 6 floor residential complex etc.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: You need to consider the consequences in regards to fire safety. During a fire power is typically unavailable, meaning no lifts or elevators. In this case, it would be a catastrophe and loss of life significant. Staircases are essential for fire or earthquake situations.

We have to study the modern built elevators in terms of providing sufficient back up power for 2-3 days in situations of mains power breaks so that people may not get stuck up in elevators.

Also nowadays sophisticated elevators from Schindler, Otis cos have the best fire protection systems. Maybe this model is useful for taller buildings, skyscrapers rather than shorter buildings ?.

Cost factor of Having additional Lifts / Elevators for replacing the staircases have to be evaluated.

European countries viz Germany, France, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Belgium, Norway, Hungary, United Kingdom etc may build this experimental building model in the 21st century ?

Thanks & regards
Prashant S Akerkar

Though that technology is most certainly going to be (or possibly is) available in the future, I have the idea that its costs could be prohibitive next to plain old stair cases. It may prove benficial to do more research before make these kinds of changes to your building plans.

Good Luck

Flooring and Carpeting

Don Moore

Questions regarding the care and maintenance of Marble, Travertine, Limestone and Terazzo. I can also help with Granite.

I am an experienced trainer working with contract cleaners trying to add hard surfaces to their list of offered services. I have a line of stone care products for sale and offer technical support for these products which gives me an edge with regard to working with natural stone.

Palomar College - undergraduate studies ISS IICRC credited training for hard surfaces

COIT Services Stanley Steemer Hydroforce