Flooring and Carpeting/Very OLD Tile Floring

Question
Carol,
  Firstly, thank you for being part of this group. It is a very helpful tool.
  My house was built in 1956. There is Tile in the entrance way inside the front door. I'm replacing it with a roll of linoleum. As I'm removing the old tile, the "glue" appears to be tar. Will I have to remove that old "tar" before I apply the glue for the new linoleum? I'm applying, what is called "Releasable Pressure Sensitive Adhesive".
  IF I do have to remove it, what is the best way? I could sand it but it looks like it would just "clog" the sanding disks. It washes off my hands with solvent but I'm not sure I want to use solvent to clean 60 square feet of plywood inside my house.
 I appreciate your time in this matter. I hope this finds you and your family well and happy. Get ready for this Arctic Blast that the Weather Guessers are predicting!! Hope to hear from you soon.
Skip

Answer
Sorry for the delay, I've been doctoring.  

The black tar type adhesive is most likely containing asbestos.  Don't freak.  Its OK and typical  However, you should not sand it.  I would go to a store carrying fills like Aardex (Home depot, etc) and find a good floor fill.  Then you will encapsulate it, a perfectly fine way of dealing with it.  I would look on your manufacturer's website-- and contact their tech support to find out which fill would be compatible.  My best advice is to go direct to manufacturer, as generic advice doesn't work with all manufacturers.  Your adhesive is pressure releasable, so other than verifying you don't have moisture issues-- and please don't sand.  Find a good floor fill and cover it.  

Another "beware" is vinyl must be smooth or anything under will telegraph.  I would prefer you to use something self leveling.  

Hope that helps, keep warm.  I'm in GA, where we are freaking out as temps might drop to 31... I have lived in PA and CO, I find it amusing. Till I walked outside after losing my cold resistance.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Carol Blaha