Flooring and Carpeting/tile

I just removed about 500 sf of tile and found tar paper underneath it.. I scaped it as flAt as possible and stuck a few tiles down with some ultra flex 2 and they are holding. Hlowever will the tar paper smell go away after I tile over it completely and grout.... thanx Curt

Thank you for your question Curtis,

Have you encountered tar "paper" or some old "cut back tar" adhesive? I suspect the latter. The key to this Curtis is to make sure that the absolute maximum of the old material be removed from your slab..(if you have a slab). Another way to reduce/remove additional material is to get a gallon of Mineral Spirits to act as a solvent to soften and loosen the stuff and wipe up the remaining sluce so to speak with clean rags. Then just lay them outside in the sun to evaporate the solvent vapors away and throw away. This will greatly enhance the bond quality of what you are attempting to do. Ultra Flex II is a great product but it does have limitations as virtually all adhesives have. The smell also will go away much quicker for the obvious reason as the amount of the offensive stuff is removed...follow me? I hope this helps you with your project Curtis, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...