Flooring and Carpeting/used wrong grout on floor

Question
Dear Mr. Vellenga:  

We are redoing our bathroom and my husband gave our contractor what he believed to be the floor grout we used in our other two bathrooms.  Same porcelain tile used in all three, and grout was to match the other baths.  Contractor had a devil of a time using it and said there was virtually no sand in the grout.....very pasty, hard to clean up, but my husband assured him it was same grout we used in our other two baths.  He finally got the grout in and subdued and also used a sealer mixed with the grout.  Today, after drying, I noted that grout was completely different color and was not the same as we had used before.  My husband went to retrieve the bag and then I pointed out to him that it clearly says, "nonsanded grout".  It was, in fact, the grout remaining from the wall tile in our other bathroom.  So....needless to say, we are in a dilemma.  How will this wall grout perform on the floor over time with the sealer in as far as cracking etc.  Also, since the color is not what I wanted to achieve, our contractor says he can shave off the top of the wrong grout to about 1/2 depth and re-grout over with a correct sanded grout.  I'm sure every time I go into the bathroom those white lines will be staring back at me.  Bathroom is almost complete today and tomorrow and now must make a decision about re-grouting the floor and the dust and mess it will now cause to the new fittings/fixtures/bead board.  

Can you let me know how the wall grout will perform on the floor and also the "fix" to a corrected sanded grout and color be for the mess it will create, or is that a reasonable fix?  Our contractor is very good, a neighbor and a friend and has done other projects for us.  So, trust his judgement.

Answer
Thank you for your question Janet...

Supplanting a sanded grout application with a non-sanded example is not going to be satisfactory at all. The non-sanded one will tend to settle and shrink excessively lowering the level of the grout within the joint itself. I have to point out though Janet that as an installer I "always" check the material products I am about to use prior to committing to its use and if I have the bag in my hand I am going to read what it says so your contractor here is somewhat at fault even if he is everything you say he is to you guys. Having pointed out that fact here you are. Fortunately what you currently have in the joint is not as hard and it's sanded cousin so it should simply be removed to at least the depth of the tile itself so however "thick" the tile is that is the goal depth to be reached in order for the sanded grout to have enough volume to sustain itself within the joint. Now the mess (to some degree) can not be avoided but most of it can be controlled by draping visqueen in the area being worked in from the ceiling and held down to the floor. Be sure to tape off any floor or ceiling vents so they stay clean of dust and debris. It's unfortunate Janet that this has happened but with patience and additional hard work things should work out just fine...ok? That's it I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga