Flooring and Carpeting/Carpet companies

We are building a home and when looking at carpet , I am trying to determine which company, Shaw, Mohawk, Bliss, Best Buy is the one to go with.  We are building on a lake, we have a dog and grandchildren.  So we will have moderate traffic. I have researched the different companies and they all make themselves sound amazing!  Since we are building, I have an amount in our bid  - I would say that we want really good, carpet, but can't afford to go over the top.  I want a short pile, not a shag or "frizzes", gee not even sure of the spelling, I apologize.  More of the texture style, that will not show wear pattern in high traffic areas.  Any thoughts?

Sorry for the delay - just got my computer back after being without for over a week; I don't need this kind of problem, wading through several hundred emails.

Since I worked for Shaw for 34 years and can vouch for the reliability of their products and customer service (must admit to being just a little partial).

Your choice of product sound good to me.  For ease of maintenance I prefer shorter, denser pile in loop pile construction, with some texture. This eliminates the footprint issue and reduces the vacuuming regimen. Avoid the "soft" fibers - you walk on the carpet with your feet and they can't tell the difference.  You have already decided to avoid the shaggy constructions and that is a good decision, as vacuuming can be problematic with some. While polyester is a bit less expensive, nylon is the reliable fiber for long term durability.  Look on the label for the performance rating to give you some guidance, but don't bother splitting hairs as small differences in the numbers are meaningless.

Hope this helps,

Flooring and Carpeting

Carey Mitchell

Any question regarding carpet, including specifications, maintenance, installation, regulation.

Retired after 44 years in carpet manufacture, technical and research. Served 33 years as Director of Technical Services for the world's largest carpet manufacturer.

The Carpet and Rug Institute, Technical Chair - 12 years; American Society for Testing and Materials (40 years); American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (39 years); Society of Cleaning and Restoration (Board of Directors); US National Textile Research Consortium; Cleaning Industry Research Institute (Board of Directors and founder); Canadian General Standards Board Technical Advisory Committee; The Fiber Society; Alzheimer's Association of NW GA (Board of Directors); Trout Unlimited; Federation of Fly Fishermen

AATCC Review (Textile Chemist and Colorist Journal); Journal of the American Industrial Hygiene Association; International Journal of Flooring Sciences Cleaning Digest; Cleanfax Magazine; Floor Covering Weekly; Floor Covering News; Proceedings of the Technical Conference of the Polyurethane Association; Proceedings of the Symposium on the Science of Cleaning;

BS in Chemistry and Business Administration, University of North Georgia

Carpet and Rug Institute, Smrekar Award, 1998; Carpet Industry Leadership Award, 1994; Cleanfax Magazine Person of the Year, 1996; Cleaning Digest, person of the year, 1997; Institute of Inspections,Cleaning and Restoration Certifications award,1997; ISCT Lipscomb Award, 2004