Flooring and Carpeting/Chandelier Design.

QUESTION: Dear Perry

A chandelier is a decorative ceiling-mounted light fixture. Chandeliers are often ornate, and normally use lamps. Crystal chandeliers have more or less complex arrays of crystal prisms to illuminate a room with refracted light.

Can the Chandelier product can be modified to work as a ceiling fan i.e. rotating/revolving (rpm) with a regulator ?.

A electric motor has to be fixed with the Chandelier product to make it work ?.

On a safety side, do you feel the Weight of the Glass would be taken as a precautionary measure so that the chandelier rotating speed should not exceed the desired limit ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Welcome back Prashant,

I am somewhat surprised that you have a degree of confidence in me that I would be able to advise you in this regard. My expertise certainly comfortably rests within the flooring Industry but I also have wide ranging "opinions" about many other things as I approach challenges not fearing failure as that is the basis of success. You have challenged me with the carpet installs for Trains & Buses so here once again I will add this to our continuing relationship. I know the basic structure of fans and their function as I have installed many personally right along with light fixtures over the years. Chandeliers all have one thing in common just as fans do...a central shaft that acts as the skeleton and the stabilizer for both and a means to hide the power source that operates them. This shaft in modern fixtures is larger and lighter than older ones which allows larger examples of each to be hung in todays lighter construction methods; ie: roof truss framing to which both are connected to mechanically. If you are wanting to integrate a modern fan with an antique chandelier modifications will certainly be necessary as the central shaft will most likely be made of old grade steele and most likely too narrow to accommodate additional wiring to power a fan as well. Having both controlled by a single "speed control switch" I would think would need to have the chandelier to actually be attached to the fan unit itself and not to the ceiling structure this would allow the fan only to be the sole source of power and movement to maintain a very slow traverse of both. Crystal glass does not like to come in contact with each other and will easily chip and or crack and the tinkling sound should they do would become a distraction I would think, to guests walking below them. Not to mention might create a concern for safe passage beneath the heavy assembly. So the mounting point of the fan would be the foundation of both pieces allowing the single secure mounting adequate hold based upon the total weight combined...follow me? Nearly all modern day fans have both a "directional switch" and a "speed control switch" so that the fans are able to spin in the opposite direction depending upon the Season...spinning downwards in the hotter times of the year to circulate the air to cool downwards, then in the colder times the other direction to push down the warmer air that will always rise to the ceiling and warm the occupants below. Some switches are combined with a dimmer and a speed control so the the ambient lighting can also be controlled as the time of day dictates. Ok Prashant I hope this helps you with your newest challenge, good to have you come back, please feel free to return anytime...

QUESTION: Dear Perry

Similar to Fan regulators, we can design and construct special Chandelier Regulators which will control the speed of the electric Motor within the Chandelier product.

For example :

1: 4 Revolutions per minute
2: 8 Revolutions per minute
3: 12 Revolutions per minute
4: 16 Revolutions per minute
5: 20 Revolutions per minute

The Chandelier will rotate at the lowest speed of 4 RPM when set at 1 and at the Highest speed of 20 RPM when set at 5.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hey Prashant,

I looked for but didn't see what your question was in regards to the rotating Chandelier. I did see that it looks like the Chandelier you are considering has the capability to both illuminate and spin as well. I have not researched anything to confirm or deny that it is possible as I can easily believe that there is a Company who produces such a combination. Some Chandeliers I have seen have been quite large so to spin such a mass of weight too quickly would seem to me a recipe for disaster should it go too fast. Slower in my opinion would be better and more dramatic especially in the evening hours of operation. Thanks for stopping back in, if you could clarify what specifically you were wondering about I would be glad to lend my thoughts to you...

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...