Flooring and Carpeting/Vinyl floor underlay

can you use a fiberboard underlay flooring with a single sheet vinyl covering, i purchased the underlay with a wood floor in mind, but the cost to lay was such i have reconsidered using vinyl for now

I am going to assume it is the compressed and glued particles of sawdust, known to me as particle board.These are not approved by the flooring industry, but many lay persons and professionals have made the error of doing so anyway.

The failure rate is higher for these substrates due to moisture absorption and swelling causing the wood / particle or vinyl floor to release or separate. These are not recommended substrates.

Back when standards were askew and rift with misleading information ...yes ... we did use particle board/ fiber board. But even I have seen what happens when a dishwasher leaks onto such a substrate and swells beyond repair. The whole floor usually ends up being replaced when normal ply woods and approved substrates would withstand the water issue and the floor would survive.

Look to products that are approved by the Flooring Association of America

Best regards,

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies