Flooring and Carpeting/grout

Question
Why is non-sanded grout called non-sanded grout, and how does it differ from sanded grout?
I want to repair a surface chip and a scratch in a ceramic floor tile in the kitchen which type of grout should I use?

Answer
Thank you for your question Marvin,

The term employed to describe the grout necessary to fill small joints of 1/8" or less is a misnomer really. Non-sanded grout is really a silica sand and if you work with it enough it will give you "strawberries" on your fingertips just like the sanded grout will. It just allows the material itself to compress into a tighter blend thereby allowing it to be pushed into tighter joints either floor or walls. So both have sand as it's primary ingredient, only the grade or size of the sand is different. To fix a small chip or scratch I will typically use a porcelain touch up paint if you can find a color match. If not you can try a fingernail polish to touch up the chip which will also give pretty good results short of removing the tile to replace with another. Ok Marvin I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga