Flooring and Carpeting/Terrazzo Floring

Question
We have a Clubhouse with I believe Terrazo floors with the quartz flecks in it built in 1960-61 in mid- inland Florida  We are doubling the space and the flooring is in question. Some want to use Torginal if not too prohibitively expensive and others tile and another tile over the old flooring also, so all in the room looks the same. This will be bid out by the County and they want to go with tile and leave the Terrazo.  Don't know if we can find tile to look like the old flooring.  What suggestions do you have?

Answer
So sorry Helen...your question has languished in my que but I did not know it was there, for some reason I never had it forwarded to me to answer till just now.

Ok so Terrazzo was the most common place material back in the day for most of Florida I know because I lived there then as well and over the years while I was a Contractor I did hundreds of tile jobs right over the stuff. I will say that it makes for a very flat tile installation job thats for sure. That being said to have a Terrazzo floor done in modern time costs more than having a Travertine Stone floor installed as most of the old masters have retired or died. It is a dying art but is still done for those with the desire and bucks to make it happen. Now there are Terrazzo Tiles that are produced in several colors and pea size stones of various sizes as well perhaps you may be able to come across something close to what is currently existing in place but most likely not an exact match as the stones and coloring will be different. It is an easy internet search to find a local Distributor that can fulfill an order for you, all that is needed is the time to sit and look at the examples provided on their sample pages. I have never been a real fan of the design or material...sorry it's just me some folks love the stuff, I myself not so much so I never gave it a passing thought to tile over the material with the selection the homeowner wanted. For me with all the new designs of large format tiles either Porcelain or Ceramic tiles really makes for a contempory scheme and with much less grout joints to contend with (20 x 20" tiles for example) equals much less maintenance for those responsible. Of course there is specific procedures to follow when tiling over old Terrazzo but it easy enough to do. Perhaps some local Distributors can give you a start in the right direction with material they may stock or be aware of or where to take your search looking further. Ok Helen I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime..again sorry I was late with your reply...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga