Flooring and Carpeting/Self leveling over Torginol

Question
QUESTION: We have a torginol floor in our old house that we want to put vinyl  over and are trying to avoid having to put in a new sub floor. Will the self leveling compounds be enought to lay vinyl over? There is carpet over the torginol now and we are going to rip it up and remove the glue.

ANSWER: I have limited experience with this issue but a thin layer over vinyl sounds like a disaster to me. The vinyl  does not like things to stick to it.  In addition the self leveling would need to be very thick to avoid crumbling with pressure.  I would recommend removing your vinyl.

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply. Our floor is Torginol not vinyl. We want to lay vinyl over it.  Torginol cannot be removed from what I understand. It  is a hard poured on kind of floor popular waaaayy back. Will the self leveling work on that? Thx

Answer
The Torginal web site says they make flakes and other materials to put into resin based flooring systems.  If your floor is a resin based system you should be able to just glue your vinyl directly to it.  I would not try to put any self leveling compounds over the floor.  What you have if resin based should be a good surface to glue to.

Flooring and Carpeting

Harvey Chichester