Flooring and Carpeting/Repair or regrout tile floor...

Question
Just bought a house and the grout in the foyer is very stained and dirty. My initial thought was to clean it and apply some Polyblend Grout Renew to do the job. When i went to look at it further, the grout is missing in some places. My question is...should i just repair the missing areas then do the Polyblend all over, or can i use a grout saw to remove most of the grout and just regrout the entire floor?

Answer
Hello and thank you for contacting The Grout Dye Company.

Dear, Traci;

Sorry for the delay.

Just bought a house and the grout in the foyer is very stained and dirty. My initial thought was to clean it and apply some Polyblend Grout Renew to do the job.

When i went to look at it further, the grout is missing in some places.

Q. My question is...should i just repair the missing areas then do the Polyblend all over, or can i use a grout saw to remove most of the grout and just regrout the entire floor?

A. Yes, you will need to make all repair on the grout before recoloring it. It is best to use a carbide or diamond hand grout removal type tool or you can use the dremmel too with an oscillating grout removal blade.

Try to remove as much grout as deep as possible at least 3/16 of an inch. Vacuum out any loose debris before applying the new grout.

After the new grout is installed and cured generally 14-28 days you can use a colorant of your choice to recolor all the joints one color and seal it at the same time. It would also be my suggestion to contact the manufacture of grout renew which is distributed by Custom Building products of Seal Beach CA here is there contact information. Oh and please tell them I said hello, lol :)

Corporate Headquarters
13001 Seal Beach Blvd Seal Beach, CA 90740
562-598-8808
Customer Support
800-272-8786
Fax 800-200-7765

Technical Tool Services
800-423-1802

Technical Services
800-282-8786
Fax 562-799-0943  

Flooring and Carpeting

Michael C. Malizia