Flooring and Carpeting/Carpeting

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

Is carpet padding glued to the floor before the carpet is laid or is it stapled or neither?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: Carpet padding may either be glued or stapled to the floor. Usually the pad is only glued in commercial applications, but it is sometimes done in residential ones. When the pad is glued to the floor the carpet is also usually glued to the pad, which is what is referred to as "double stick".

QUESTION: Hello:

I want to thank you for the reply.

If a residential owner wants the padding glued, can he request it to the carpet company?  I had to remove an old carpet and padding many years ago and the padding was stapled.  There were hundreds of staples to remove from the floor.

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Yes you can request it. But getting the glue off the floor will be harder than removing staples if and when the time comes to take up the pad. It all depends on your situation and future plans.
If you do go with glueing the pad, you may want to consider using what is called a pressure sensitive or quick release adhesive. It will make it easier to remove the pad. You will of course still have to contend with removal of the adhesive however. Or you may also want to consider peel and stick carpet tiles ...less adhesive residue on the subfloor.

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams