Flooring and Carpeting/marble threshold and tile question

Hi. I have a marble threshold between my bathroom and hall. When you enter the bathroom, there is a step down maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. There are currently really old (about 40 years)1x1 tiles on the bathroom floor. I would like to put new tile down so my questions are
A. Can new tile be installed over the old tile?
B. Is the threshold uneven for a reason. Would it be a problem if the tile was installed even with the threshold?
I also have a concrete subfloor if that makes a difference.

Sorry I am a bit tardy Robin with my reply...

So you have a marble threshold in your bath. You mention that it currently steps "down" perhaps a 1/2" or so. I am a bit surprised at there being a step down rather than what is typical which would be a step "up". Anyway...if your bath floor indeed does step "down" then there is good opportunity here to tile over tile if you should choose to do so. Certainly there are some prep requirements getting the current floor ready for new tile but you can do it so long as you know what to do. Secondly the threshold being uneven, I would have to guess that the flooring "outside" of the bath perhaps was installed "afterwards" than the current tile in the bath as it rises above it and not being flush with it as would be possible were the two installed properly and at the same time. Having the new tile flooring finishing off flush with the threshold would not present any problem that I can imagine outside of something you have not told me about. Having a concrete sub-floor makes no particular difference to what you are trying to accomplish. Remember you will need to pull the toilet and purchase extended mounting bolt kit for the re-install along with a wax ring that has an extender attached to it as well....ok? That's it, if you have additional questions feel free to return anytime....

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...