Flooring and Carpeting/New Install - Grout Discoloration 'Growing'

Hi Perry,

I have a customer with a recent tile install with Power Grout in the bathroom.  There is a 'growing' dark brown stain on the grout lines, which was thought to be from a toilet leak.  Plumbers have removed and re-installed the toilet, finding no leaks.  The stain is still growing, and my customer says there is no water leaks or damage.  Have you encountered any grout stains 'growing' with Power Grout, or anything similar to this situation?  

Thank you for your valuable time!  I greatly appreciate any feedback or thoughts you have on this.  

Best regards,

Thank you for your question Sheri,

It would seem to me that something "outside" of the grout itself is suspect in this mystery. Power Grout from the Tec Company is a quality product and a simple ingredient based material that once cured becomes inert and not subject to change. Now the growing stain will always lead me to some kind of "contact" pollution. Something is coming in contact with your grout and transferring into it. I have not encountered a growing stain issue with Power Grout or any other grout that comes to mind. But because the plumber has said that no leaks were found something tells me to the contrary. You can take a piece of the grout and have it analyized to see what the pollutant actually is. If it is growing then I suspect that there is a continuing contact issue going on here. Perhaps the water supply has a "hard water" mineral issue which can affect or color the grout once contact is maintained. That is also something to look into as well. Perhaps you could send along a picture so I can take a look at it and see for myself but in any case I have given you a couple options to consider. I hope this helps you with you problem, feel free to return anytime Sheri...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...