Flooring and Carpeting/Tile Grout Removal

Question
Compound
Compound  
We are redoing our living room and there was tile at the front door which I have removed. However there is some sort of "grout" or "compound" that was used to stick the ceramic tiles to the floor residue that I can't scrap up. Is there a way to get this hard cement type compound off the floor?  I'm pretty sure the tile was on the floor for more than 30 years because the tiles and the grout lines between them crumbled in my hands as I removed them.  Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Thank you for your question Stephanie,

The suspect material is the old adhesive of course which is a thinset. It can be quite difficult to get up when employing tools that are not up to the task. But, you can rent a tool that is pretty easy to use from your local Home Depot or Lowes, it's called a "chipping hammer". It is the little brother to the "Jack Hammer" which most everyone knows is way too large for this job. You get a 2-3" wide blade/chisel that goes with it and this electric hammer will chisel up the material. Just turn it on and keep the tool over on the side not straight up and down. That way it will just move along chipping up the material. It can feel a little unwieldy when you get started but after a few minutes you will know what you need to do to get the old adhesive chipped up. Your shoulders will get sore and your back will as well, but my wife has helped me do this in years past so I know you can handle it once you get going. Then you can just sweep up the residue and skim the floor and your ready to go with your install. Ok??....I hope this helps you Stephanie. If you get hung up or confused feel free to return anytime and I will walk you through the process....

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga