Flooring and Carpeting/creating a joint on a 15/4 mm engineered floor

Hello Chris,
I hope  you can help  me. I  just aquired about 2000 ft2 of reclaimed engineered  flooring. The   tongue and  grooves on the long  sides  are  intact  and  fine. Many of the   pieces  are missing  tongue and/or  groove on the  ends.  Do I need to  join them? or   will  the  long sides  keep them  in place.  Would  you use a router and buy splines? a biscuit joiner?
I was planning  on installing as a floating   floor.  What  do you recommend?
Thanks  for  your help

Hi Becky,

Yes you must join them or the flexing and movement will cause squeaking, creaking and noise. I don't suppose you have the name of the manufacture? If you do you can contact them and inquire as to the specific bits / size to purchase and use.

A Biscuit joiner will work but I have never used one due to the thin style of biscuit and the lack of 100% coverage.

And this video as well

If you have to improvise and go freestyle purchase a suitable (cheap works too) router table, router and bit make the grooves yourself and add splines. Glue the splines in place as you go with Titebond II available at the big brand hardware stores. Clean up any excess that squeezes out with a damp cloth and fresh water. Any haze that forms after the install is dry can be removed with a non scratching blue scotch brite pad.

Once you get the router set up make sure you don't change the setting so all the butt ends are the same and they will all be level to each other. Make sure the spline fits snug so there is no up or down movement in the joined pieces.

Hope it all goes well , feel free to call again

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies